Lead a Retreat to Northern Iceland
Retreat weeks are Saturday – Saturday and require a minimum of 18 participants for a retreat package. Retreats up to 28 can be accommodated.
Participants book their travel to the city of Akureyri, landing initially at the International Airport in Rekyjavik (Keflavik airport). A short 40 minute flight is available from the smaller Reykjavik domestic airport, though participants might alternately choose to use a bus service or rental car. Participants will be picked up from the Akureyri airport and transferred to accommodations and acclimated to the town and surroundings.
A typical itinerary in Akureyri offers a morning group session at the wellness center followed by lunch and several excursion afternoons to explore the landscapes of Iceland. These excursions can include:
- Hrisey Island – A lovely ferry ride to spend an afternoon picturesque exploration and hike of Hrisey Island. Situated at 66 degrees North, just a stone’s throw from the Arctic Circle, Hrisey is considered one of the “Power” places in Iceland. This can’t be easily explained, so we’ll offer some moments of pause to sit and feel this special planetary vortex energy. In the winter months, this hike is offered on snowshoes.
- Icelandic horse riding is offered in the summer, spring and fall months. The Icelandic Horse is truly unique to Iceland and even boasts a unique gait called the “tolt”. Beginner riders will be in one group and enjoy a breathtakingly beautiful experience of the autumn fields of Iceland. More experienced riders will have the opportunity to trot, canter and tolt through the countryside! We’ll learn about these beautiful animals and be treated to hot beverages and Icelandic treats afterwards.
- Whale watching – offered most months and sometimes as an alternative for participants who do not want to ride the horses.
- A full day adventure to Myvatn – an amazing geothermic region that will take you from the fjord, through the mountains, to the lava fields. You’ll experience the rolling fields of Icelandic sheep contrasted with the barren lunar landscapes that the astronauts used to training for the first lunar landing in the 60’s! Our day includes a visit to the thermal baths of the North. With a high concentration of natural minerals, Icelanders often credit these waters with their health and longevity that is much higher than the norm.
- A local tour around Akureyri, learning about the history and folklore. We’ll drive along the fjord and make several stops including visits to some special places and hidden nature preserves. You’ll feel like you’ve been transported back in time, or onto the most spectacular movie set designed by mother nature hersel
- The Northern Lights – during the fall and winter months, there may be the opportunity to get a glimpse of this famous dance of lights. Our hosts are always monitoring the celestial conditions so on any evening when conditions look promising, you’ll be offered an evening pick up and drive across the fjord to some of the most promising locations to see the Aurora Borealis. Perhaps you’ll even get show while lounging in your backyard jacuzzis.
- Midnight Sun tour – during the summer months, a special midnight tour to a special picturesque point.
- 2 afternoons of optional activities. On these afternoons, and depending on the time of year, you might have a few options. Almost all retreats add on a 1/2 day to Husavik and the GeoSea baths, and Akureyri also has new bathos of their own – the Forest Lgoon! Some teachers prefer to offer an afternoon workshop instead of an optional activity.
Because of limited availability and only one yoga retreat center, these retreats to are typically booked 12 -24months in advance.
For more details and rates, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Working with Laura and One Yoga Global was a true pleasure. I have been teaching retreats for more than three years and I have always organized everything on my own. With One Yoga Global’s assistance, I was able to focus more on teaching and giving my energy to the guests rather than worry about all of the logistics. Everything ran smoothly and the guests loved our Iceland retreat. I cannot wait to work with OYG again!
Northern Iceland feels like the edge of the earth – stark, stunning, wild and welcoming all at once. The air is pure and invigorating and floating in the geothermal baths while the Northern lights danced from above was sublime. Our guides were delightful and left the spirit of Iceland in each of our hearts. I’d return in a heartbeat.